HVLP Painting Experiences

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: HVLP Painting Experiences
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 09:43:43 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I just thought I'd let people know about the experience I have had
with my new HVLP spraygun.

I received a Wagner "FineCoat" HVLP spray unit for Christmas
and I put it to use yesterday. I have just installed a new fibreglass
bonnet on my rally bugeye "redcar"
(http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mikeg/cars/redcar.htm) in preparation
for the big rally on the 13-15 Feb (John Sprinzel is also competing
in a bugeye in the rally!!!).

The colour is Chrysler/Mitsubishi "Mexican Red" (appropriate
given the car's heritage!). I used Wattyl Primer/Surfacer and
Acrylic. I did all the prep on the bonnet last week and painted
yesterday (nice day it was).

The gun is fantastic. I have very little painting experience yet
I achieved a terrific finish that required very little work. I did one
initial topcoat, lightly sanded with wet 1200 and two thin topcoats
after that. All I needed to do was buff the result. I had a buddy over
to help and expected him to end up doing the top coats (he is good
with the gun) but it wasn't necessary.

I found it very very easy to get a very good finish. On top of that, the
paint dried so quickly (the system produces warm dry air) that the
bugs that wandered around on the paintwork just 15 secs after I
painted did not leave tracks (and flew away).

I have only done one car before now (my racecar) and that was
done with a conventional compressor/gun. I can't say how much
happier I am with the process and result!

If you are contemplating painting your car, do yourself a favour
and look at a HVLP system.

My job was not intended to be a concours quality job, but with a little
more practice and more coats/sanding etc, I am confident I could do
a really nice job!

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mike

Mike Gigante         Watsons Creek Vineyard http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mikeg