Re: Front Hubs

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Front Hubs
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:23:59 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Pretty much what I thought, about the Hoosiers. Up here in VARAC land
(Eastern Canada) our vintage tire rules preclude our running radials of any
sort.  They're allowed, but only in sizes that aren't actually manufactured,
so you could run radials if you could buy them, which you can't.  Go figger.
The size, FYI, is based on aspect ratio of 70% or greater, tread width
(measured shoulder to shoulder, on the tire) of no more than that on the
450L-13 Dunlop, which is about 4.25", and R or higher speed rated.

So we have only one tire option, which is the Dunlop, because no other tire
manufactured in the world complies with our rule.  The dunlops are fine
tires, although not very grippy, but I get a wee bit upset at a rule that
gives a defacto monopoly without stating that we have a spec tire.  Just a
wee bit, though, because I can't deny that the Dunlop tire is the most
correct tire available for vintage racing today, since it came into
manufacture in 1963, and our cutoff date for cars is 1961.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.