front calipers

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: front calipers
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 20:07:12 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Spridgeteers,

I am in the middle of rebuilding the front calipers of a '65 Sprite. The
pistons have a relieved or cut-away portion that both the Haynes and BL
manuals state must be positioned as found originally. My problem is, on the
passenger side, this relieved portion was facing down towards the ground
for both pistons, but on the driver side caliper, it was facing up for both
pistons. The BL manual at one point states that the cut-away portion should
be facing down. My quesiton is, do you think that a PO simply didn't do
right on the driver side caliper and faced the pistons both up on accident?
I'm assuming this whole business is to allow dirt, water, etc to drain from
the pistion downwards via gravity.

Also, these calipers have a screw plug with hex head located next to the
bleed screw. Is this plug there to aid in bench bleeding (ie, a convenient
hole through which to fill the caliper with brake fluid)?

TIA,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html