Re: 1275 Engine Falling together!

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: 1275 Engine Falling together!
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 22:15:56 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
When putting the pistons/rods in, I slip rubber fuel line hose over the rod
bolts to protect the crankshaft from getting dinged.  I also leave the
bearing insert out of the rod until the piston is in the bore - seems like
the bearing often falls out when one is tapping the piston in.  Don't try
to get by cheap - buy a good quality ring compressor - I wish I had (broke
1 ring when I built my 1275 and had to order a new set).

As far as I'm concerned, the wrap-around-band type ring compressors are
lousy.  I prefer the wrinkle-band ring compressors - they never try to go
down the bore with the piston, but mine was too big for a 1275.

Anyone know of a source for smaller bore wrinkle-band ring compressors?

ps If I remember correctly, the oil pump assembly holds the camshaft
forward against a thrust plate - is it installed?

Les

At 09:16 PM 2/7/98 EST, you wrote:
>Thanks for the responses to my "immediate" request regarding the Crankshaft
>clearances.  After reading your responses, and re-reading the tech manuals
>several times, I decided that the 0.002 clearance on the front and rear main
>bearings were within the stated tolerance, and that the .003 clearance was
>just close enough to the upper 0.0027 to go ahead and put it together.  New
>everything--all bearings, etc.  I have not yet closed the engine, so
>everything is still accessible if need be.
>
>Not that the crank is in the engine and the mains are torqued to 60 ft.lb,
The