lube

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: lube
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 00:32:01 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Spridgeteers,

What greases do you prefer for the different components? The manual
specifices general purpose (giving the example of Duckhams LB10) for
tie-rod end balljoints,  steering and suspension grease nipples.  I assume
that LB 10 is a lithium-based grease? I'm wondering if a moly-based grease
wouldn't be better (was moly readily available in the 60s?) for balljoints
and suspension.

Also, is there a problem with using moly as a wheel bearing grease, or
should lithium be used? Along these lines, do any of the grease nipples on
the stub axle assembly supply the front bearings with grease? If not, how
are these bearings lubricated as I find no mention of it in the BL workshop
maual, the Haynes, or the owner's manual.

Finally, my tie-rod end balljoints do not have grease nipples. How are
these lubricated? Hypo needle through the rubber?

Waiting with parched joints,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html