Re: Left Lane Cruiser!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Left Lane Cruiser!
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 19:40:57 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
So how many RPMs am I turning with a 4.22 and 185/70R-13 tires during an
80mph commute to work on I-94 (tach is off (reads 6500), but have
calculated MPH by the mile markers)?  Really would like to know.  You gotta
do 80 here in Michigan (70mph speed limit) to keep from getting run over by
the 18-wheelers going from Chicago to Detroit and vice versa.  I cringed
every time until I put the bigger tires on and I think the bigger tires
look a lot better than the little skinnies I had before. I think they are a
viable option to swapping diffs.  Plus, it softened the ride immensely.
The only things I don't like about them is the wheel hop I get when dumping
the clutch at RPM and I don't think it handles quite as well in the 30 mph
range.

BTW, 80 is not the top end - have had PUDDLES briefly over 100mph with
these tires - kind of weird, the exhaust note seems to get much quieter at
very high rpm.  I try to keep the cruising speed at 70-75 mph for
long-distance driving.

Les