FW: Re: External Bugeye Trunk

To: spridgets
Subject: FW: Re: External Bugeye Trunk
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:16:33 -0700 (MST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
[BOUNCE spridgets@Autox.Team.Net:     Admin request of type /\bsubscribe\b/i at
line 4]

     Date: 21 Jan 1998 16:03:39 -0500
     From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
     Subject: Re: External Bugeye Trunk

Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com> writes:
>There was an aftermarket kit to install a trunk lid on a Bugeye. Rick Moses
>had the actual (repro) ad from the company in one of his newsletters
>(another reason to subscribe to SPRITE) I just can not find that issue.

        Also (though it would certainly look different) more than a few
Bugeye bonnets were fitted to Mk2 Sprites.

FYI: I've been driving Sprites since '78, and they were my only transport
in high school and college from '78 until late '84.  I've owned quite few,
and still kick myself for letting a $300 supercharger get away from me when
in college.  (I reasoned that it would kill the quart-per-couple-
hundred-miles engine on the corvette-yellow Sprite with flares, Monza?
(Starfire?) 4-spoke wheels and B60-13 Joie Chitwood rear tires that had
already busted a rear halfshaft.  And no, I didn't do all that to that
Sprite, I found it that way with a broken axle.)

I have't driven a Sprite since '84 outside of a few blasts up a road and a
few laps of an autox course in a weird Sprite I (literally) found in a barn
- '60 Mk2, Bugeye front, rear flares (metal), rear end cut off just behind
the wheels with a vertical rear metal panel and super-carefully
fiberglassed over the hatch and deck into a smooth rear deck (flat from one
fender to the other) leading to a 3" lip spoiler.  Very small dished wheel,
short-throw shifter, 948cc with some mods.  A friend (Dr. Bobwrench) and I
brought it back to life in a few weeks (after many many years of sitting
semi-disassembled).

Weird car is an understatement.

A year and a bit ago I bought a '66 Midget project car from Glen Wilson -
very nice cosmetically except for needing drivers floor, left-front fender,
rocker, hinge-cover section (bondoed accident damage), and battery tray
(acid rust-out).  Calif. car, no rust in rockers or even in front or behind
rear wheels.  Wire wheels, 1275 (tired).  Needs a new wiring harness badly.
Quite a few new parts, good chrome.  Should make an excellent driver.
I'm planning on a performance rebuild shooting for 100 hp or so (using
the Vizard book as my bible).

I've been I british-cars subscriber since 1986 (when the list had circa 100
people).  Recently I've been most active on Rovernet, the TR8 list, and to
a lesser extent Triumphs and brit-cars (too many lists/too much volume
now).