Valve spring installed height

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Valve spring installed height
From: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 20:14:40 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello Again!

1500 project. Head assembly.  Kent cam kit TH2, fastroad.  Two Questions:
Question 1:
My installed valve spring height is out of spec.  Both manual and Kent
specify an installed height of 1.34.  I am sitting at approx 1.44. What did
I do wrong?

Question 2: In the Kent cam instructions, there is a diagram that says that
double valve springs should sit on the same deck and indicates that some
heads may have to be machined to allow for this, and shows a step being
milled off the head in a diagram. The head on my car does not seem to
require any machining...it's flat. I installed the springs with the original
stepped washers on the bottom (between spring and head), and the new stepped
retainers on the top of the springs...just as the stock springs were
installed.
Should I have not used the stepped washer under the springs, and mounted
them directly on the surface of the head? Help!!!!

Will
PS: thanks to everyone who helped me with my cam/timing setup.  I finally
just pulled the lifters, shined a flashlight in and found the low (valve
closed) location on intake and exhaust #1, TDC'ed the crank and set her up!
Checked to make sure that intake #1 was open all the way at 108 degrees and
was pleasantly surprised!  Now if I can just get the head together....