Tranny/Convertible top frame questions

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tranny/Convertible top frame questions
From: TRIPPY <RTRIPLETT@FAB9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 98 22:28:42 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello, two questions (about my '74 Midget):

Where I live there are a considerable amount of speed bumps.  They are close
enough together to where after I get over one, I am not out of first gear yet
before another one comes up.  I noticed that when I rev up in first and engage
the cluth, I get what sounds like a spinning noise within the gearbox. I get
this noise in other gears whenever I engage the clutch, but most obvious in
first. Is this anything bad? Also, when I am cruising in third/forth gear, I
get what sounds like very mild grinding around the gear shift plate, unless I
physically push the shifter forward/backward a bit.  Is this a sign that the
linkage is out of alignment? Are these gearboxes just a bit finicky? I had mine
rebuilt a couple years ago, so it should still be in top shape (except for the
occasional "meant for third, but hit first" grind)

Also, one of the bars that runs from one side to the other on my convertible
top frame snapped.  It seems to be the bar that keeps the top from sagging in
above the driver's head. It mounts right at a hinge on the frame, which is why
mine broke. (flexing the hinge back and forth and up and down cause metal
fatigue, I would guess) Is this a common problem? I've got a friend that will
sell me a used frame for $75. I would hate to go through this very often... I
am going to make sure to take a close look at it.  Anyone got any other
solutions.... or a frame they'll sell me for less than $75?? :-)

Thanks in advance,
Richard

'74 Fire-engine-red Midget