Re: frt wheel bearings

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, "Bkitterer" <Bkitterer@aol.com>
Subject: Re: frt wheel bearings
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:43:43 +1100
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The use of tapered roller bearings can cause premature failure of the stub
axle.

The standard setup of ball bearings and a spacer under compression reduces
the maximum tension load on the stub axle (a bending load on the stub axle
induces tension on one side and compression on the other). Compression does
not induce fatigue failure but tension does (and accelerates crack growth).

If you remove the compression loading and use tapered roller bearings, the
axles
with alternately see tension/compression/tension etc. This is fatigue
country.

The result - only use roller nearings if you have a high strength stub axle
(ala MM or
Winners Circle).

Mike