RE: Drilling Leaf springs

To: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: RE: Drilling Leaf springs
From: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@attws.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:31:06 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Personally, I would go to a machine shop with a big drill press. You
want a low bit speed, an  Oil feed to cool the bit and spring, and the
ability to clamp the spring down. If you get it too hot it will lose
it's temper (so will you). If the bit Snags and doesn't make a clean
hole, the spring could develop stress cracks (again, so will you.) A big
drill press or better yet Vertical Mill will be able to do this without
ruining the spring.
 With that said, If one was to attempt this at home. I would start with
a very small bit and work My way up. Keep the spring in an oil bath and
never get it hot.