Plastic Window Cleaning

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Plastic Window Cleaning
From: chasdoug@gte.net
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 05:54:13 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
"Practical Sailor" reviewed cleaners for plastic windows in the current
issue.  Sailboats use vinyl windows in dodgers and other types of canvas
boat covers, very similar to a soft-top!

Products reviewed:
  Beckson Plasti-care Clear Plastic Cleaner
  Mer-maids Plexiglas/Plastic Cleaner & Polish
  Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 10 Clear PlasticPolish, 17 Clear Plastic
      Cleaner, 17 Clear Plastic Cleaner/Polish
  Novus Plastic Clean & Shine, Polish No. 1, Fine Scratch
      Remover, Polish No. 2, Heavy Scratch Remover, Polish No. 3
  Plexus Plastic Cleaner Protectant & Polish
  Star-brite Plastic Scratch Remover, Plastic Polish/Restorer
  Top Choice Clear Plastic Cleaning Kit
  West Marine One Step Plastic Cleaner Polish

Obviously, many of these will be available primarily through marine
stores.

PS's conclusion:
  For plastics that have weathered some get the Novus products.  "Novus
did the best job handling extensive scratches".
  For regular maintenance and cleaning get Plexus Plastic Cleaner
Protectant & Polish.  "It fills pores and fine scratches and leaves a
non-static, non-filmy protective coating.  If you've got clear plastic
that's still in good shape get Plexus for regular maintenance..."

Contacts:
  Novus, 10425 Hampshire Ave. So., Minneapolis, MN 55438; (612) 994-8000
  Plexus, B.T.I. Chemical Company, 638 Lindero Canyon Rd. Agoura, CA
01301; (818) 879-1493

Note that the Plexus product was "originally developed for use on
aircraft...".  I don't know what that means about where it might be
available.

Note that I have not yet tried either of these products and have no
affiliation with anything mentioned (except for subscribing to Practical
Sailor).  I will be trying them soon, though, since I have clear vinyl
on both my boat and my car!

Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA