78 Midget Questions.....

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 78 Midget Questions.....
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:59:03 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Some questions for the experts on a 78 Midget 1500:

Any problems with using the flat-top pistons (used in '75 ?) in an
engine originally fitted with the low-compression dished pistons?  My
concern is with valve clearance and/or other valve train
considerations…….Anyone out there swapped for the hi-compression
pistons?  What pistons did the Spitfire 1500's use?

I've got the water temp gage with the electric sender, which I assume
is better than the capillary-sender types I've noticed in older MG's.
My question, though, is:  Will the capillary sensing bulb mount in the
same spot as the electric send unit?  Same threads, enuf space, etc.?

Did the 78 Midgets come with a full size Rostyle spare, or a "donut"
spare?  Mine had a donut in the trunk, but it doesn't look like it
came over from the UK that way……just curious.

I wanna put in an oil pressure (and maybe oil temp) gage……are the
threads on the existing oil pressure warning light switch something
normal, or some goofy British standard pipe thread or something?  I'd
like to know I've got the right fittings in hand before I shop for
gages…..