RE: New Coil

To: "'Eric Mumford'" <mumford@rpi.edu>, "'chuck ciaffone'" <chuckc@ibm.net>, "'spridgets'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: New Coil
From: "Seippel, Jim J" <Jim.Seippel@siemenscom.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:15:09 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
It is true that some coils may be substituted. However, there are many
coils that will not work. You must specify whether your ignition system
uses an internal or external ballast resistor. If you use a coil
designed for use with an external ballast resistor and you do not have
one installed, the coil will overheat and cut out and the points will
burn up in a short period of time (10-15 minutes). Basically a coil
designed for use with an external ballast resistor is a 6 V coil. the
ballast resistor cuts the working voltage down to 6 volts. The ignition
system uses 12 V to start the engine and 6 V to run.
Also, many coils designed for use with high energy ignition systems will
not work with LBCs. There many be problems with mounting these coils and
there will be problems with the dielectric of the ignition components.

A.J. (Jim) Seippel
jim.seippel@siemenscom.com