Re: two puzzles

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: two puzzles
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:13:51 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Evangelos G. Makris wrote:

> Ok I envy you for going to Sprite Rush, grin.
>
> Here's two little puzzles:
>
> a. Where and how on earth do I attach this nice
> little quarterlight mirror (GAM-115) on my MkIII Sprite?

No Idea!

> b. What is the purpose of the "aperture blanking plate",
> item 2A265 on the lower front-left side of a 1275 engine,
> namely 12V778 family? Is this to cover an alternative
> mounting point for a mechanical fuel pump?

Yes.

> This plate is also on my 12V848 Marina 1275 engine. Now my
> Sprite has the AUF214 electric fuel pump *but* the Marina
> has the later mech type (same as in my 1978 Mini)
>
> Does this mean I can get rid of the AUF214 every road gravel
> likes to hit?

Check to see that your cam has the lobe for the mechanical  fuel pump.
Some 1275s have the blanking plate but not the lobe on the cam for the fuel
pump.
remove the plate, slowly turn over the engine by putting the car in 4th gear and
rolling it while feeling for the fuel pump lobe of the cam.
(your finger works best but I didn't say that!) Use caution when inserting
anything into moving engine parts.

--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98