Re: Fuel pump problem

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump problem
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:59:07 -0500
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Nory wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> Due to the fact that I'm too lazy to look it up in the manual, and the
> list usually makes more sense, I'll run this one by you guys and gals.
>
> After winter storage, the '74 won't start (normal occurrance after
> winter storage, for me anyway).  The float bowls aren't filling, and I
> don't hear the fuel pump running.  Since the fuel pump was new just two
> summers ago, I'm guessing the problem is not the pump itself and may be
> the wiring to the pump.  What is the proper procedure for testing the
> pump and the wiring/connections?  I don't want to start probing wiring
> around the gas tank without knowing what I'm doing, if you know what I
> mean (Ka-boom!).
>
> Is there anything else it might be?  Is my two-year old $80.00 fuel pump
> shot already?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Check the ground at the pump, if it is OK then tap the pump with a hammer
(lightly)
Remember service tool 18G-101....hammer!

Safty tip.

Never work on a fuel system with a regular drop light. I have heard of 2 near
deaths and the lose of classic cars due to broken incandesant light bulbs
starting gas spills on fire.
If you need a light, use either a battery powered flashlight or a low voltage
flouresent drop light.

--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98