Re: More Questions

To: Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More Questions
From: Jeff Sharpe <jsharpe@501studios.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:30:37 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Mike,

I've been fighting this same problem since the purchase of our '79 Midget
last November.  We've replaced both the front and rear springs, with little
effect on the lean.  Our conclusion is that the PO had been in an accident
(there are other signs), and bent the front driver's side shock mount up and
in towards the engine, causing that side to sit lower and forcing excessive
negative camber on that wheel.  This is clearly seen when we put the front
end on jack stands and let the wheels hang.

We used lowering blocks in the rear springs, and put the shorter, stiffer
springs in front, but it caused a lot of scraping on the low front wheel.
Our solution, at least until we decide to tackle the bent frame, is to
reinstall the taller stock front spring on the low side, but trimmed down a
bit to make the car level.  To resolve the camber problem, we're using
offset bushings to decrease the negative camber on the damaged side and
increase it on the opposite side to match.

Obviously the handling is a little wierd with the two different springs, but
it's proved to be a relatively inexpensive fix, considering the
alternatives.

Hope that helps

Jeff