Re: Removing !@#!!% Crankshaft Nut

To: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
Subject: Re: Removing !@#!!% Crankshaft Nut
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 20:13:40 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Matt,

Once the engine is on the bench, this can be a tough nut to crack.  I have
found success in turning the engine block on its side, and placing a long
block of wood into the engine to hold the crankshaft from turning, THE LONG
LENGTH OF WOOD ( 3 TO 4 FT) BEING CLAMPED TO THE WORKBENCH WITH G-CLAMPS AT
ITS MID POINT AND AT THE END FURTHEST FROM THE ENGINE, SO THAT THE ENGINE
BLOCK IS HELD DOWN AGAINST THE WORKBENCH AND IS THUS FIXED AS WELL AS THE
CRANKSHAFT. Then I use a breaker bar on the crankshaft nut, with a homemade
extension pipe and a Clarici Clopper (heavy hammer).

The occasion that the wood was used in the manner described was motivated
by sheer desperation.  In other words, I couldn't hold the engine block
from rotating any other way.

Good luck!

Daryl

----------
> From: Matt Liggett <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
> To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Removing !@#!!% Crankshaft Nut
> Date: Friday, March 27, 1998 7:38 AM
>
> Spridgeteers,
>
> I am trying to get my 1275 apart in my spare time.  Currently, the head
> is off and I'm trying to get the crankshaft bolt off.  I have found a
> decent way to lock the crankshaft in place, but how do I remove it.  I'm
> bouncing on my breaker bar and about knocking over my engine stand.  Does
> anyone have any tricks?  I've tried some Prolong pentrating oil.  Does
> heat help?
> --
>         Matt Liggett
>         SysAdmin, ToolGuy, Synergy Leverager, Bon Vivant
>
>         <doofus@elise.kiva.net> is a trap.  Write to me at
<mml-at-pobox.com>