Re: Congratulations, Amy Turner!!!!!!

To: Lancer7676 <Lancer7676@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Congratulations, Amy Turner!!!!!!
From: Amy Turner <ltturner@cococo.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 12:40:03 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Lancer7676 wrote:

> ...a special spot came
> on the Knoxville TV station we were watching.  A broadcast featuring none
> other than our friend, Amy Turner and hubby Paul and their Bugeye Healium.
[many kind words snipped]

I'm blushing.  Thank you, David, for telling everyone about my little moment
in the spotlight.  As Paul Harvey would say, here's the rest of the story.

Since this year is the 100th anniversary of Donald Healey's birth, the
regional chapters of the Austin-Healey Club of America have been encouraged
to raise awareness of Donald Healey and the Healey marque.  The Smoky
Mountain chapter decided to have members drive their cars to Michigan and
find sponsors who would fund the drive.  Proceeds from their sponsorships
will go to the Foothills Land Conservancy, an environmental group that is
buying land around the Smoky Mountains National Park so that commercial and
residential construction won't crowd right up to the entrance of the park.
We thought that was an appropriate charity since Donald Healey was an
outdoorsman and because driving a Healey in the Smokies is so enjoyable.

That's what the TV spot was *supposed* to be about.  The club contacted WBIR
in Knoxville and asked if they wouldn't produce a segment about our drive and
the charity and Healeys in general.  Always looking for a human interest
angle, the producer asked if there were any cars being restored, perhaps one
that would be driven to Michigan following its restoration.  A few names came
up, but when they said that a woman was restoring a car, that's what the
producer focused in on.  We scheduled the shoot for Friday, and I took the
reporter and cameraman for a drive in Healium.  We showed them the cars from
the barn, complete with straw that had been used for mouse nests.  We told
them all about the drive and gave them contact information for the club.  The
end result was a segment about a woman who drives and restores Healeys.  At
the end of the segment, the anchor mentioned that I and some others would be
driving to Michigan in August to benefit the Foothills Land Conservancy...and
then he failed to mention any contact info at all!

Ron Soave suggested a video of this segment be placed on the web for all to
see.  I would gladly do so, but I have no video card capable of creating an
AVI file.  I don't know how large the file might be, but in my experience,
they get awfully big awfully fast.  If someone wants to make the file, I'll
send them a tape.

I had hoped to tell everyone in the Knoxville area about the segment in
advance, but they shot the footage on Friday and it aired Friday evening.  I
didn't know it would be replayed this morning.  Judging from the people
who've told me they saw the car on TV, I'd say their Sunday morning ratings
are better than their Friday afternoon at 5:00 ratings.  Thanks for noticing,
David!

Amy T.
Healium - As seen on TV
The barn bugeye - Best supporting actor