Bleedin' Brakes

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bleedin' Brakes
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:08:06 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
For those who want a quick-and-dirty way to bleed Spridget brakes, this is
how my son Phil and I did it this afternoon:

1.  Get some ex-radiator hose that will fit on the master cylinder filler
neck, about 6 inches long would be fine.

2.  At the other end of the hose, use some progressively smaller tubing
until you have "stepped down" to fit a tire valve.

3.  Use hose clamps at the two ends to prevent leakage.

4.  Starting with the reservoir full of brake fluid, attach a tire
compressor (we used an el-cheapo one that fits in a cigarette lighter, and
you sure as heck don't want an industrial strength compressor for this
application), and .  .   .

5.  One brake at a time, proceeding as normal, use about a 5-second burst
of compressor, before removing the hose and topping up with fluid, then
continuing.  (Your own experience will tell you whether you can do more
than 5-seconds at a time without draining the reservoir and pumping air
through the system.)

This is obviously a variant of the rather better system that uses a tank.
For some people, this system will do the job with a quicker set-up.

Phil says we can call it the Brake-Philler system, and to send royalties,
swearwords, sarcastic comments, and patent suits to him at my address.

Daryl