Re: Windscreen leaks

To: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold), spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Windscreen leaks
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 07:29:52 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Rich,

Permatex sells a silcone compound just for windshields. It is low
viscosity, so it flows very easily into the nooks and crannies of our
multi-part frames. I used it with great success on my Sprite. I have no
water leaks where before my left knee and right thigh were always wet after
driving in the rain. Only caveat is that since it does flow so well, it can
leak out onto the windshield or elsewhere depending on the space that
you're filling, so don't keep squirting the stuff into a crack while
wondering why the crack isn't filling -- you've probably got a puddle of it
forming on your right shoe at that point.

Jeff

At 7:52 AM -0500 4/6/98, Richard D. Arnold wrote:

> So long as I'm asking questions, where are the most common spots for
> leaks around the windscreen, cowl, etc, on a '79 Midget?
>
> Miss Molly likes to leak after being washed and when it rains.  I know
> where the leaks are in the convertible top and will be repairing those
> (refuse to buy a new one because, hey, it's supposed to be down
> anyway...), but suspect that she is leaking somewhere around the
> windscreen frame, frame mounts, or somewhere else.
>
> Does Permatex clear windshield weather sealing compound work well for
> this, or should I just apply some silicone judiciously?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/