Re: Plug for hole in cylinder head?

To: "DOUGLAS W. INGRAM" <dingram@tnet.net>
Subject: Re: Plug for hole in cylinder head?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:27:30 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

DOUGLAS W. INGRAM wrote:

> Is it possible that a 1275 cylinder head has been fitted to my 948 block?
>
> Can I just plug this hole with an appropriate size bolt?
>
> If so, can anyone advise what the size of the bolt would be?

Doug

948s did not have the hole in the head for the sending unit.
I'm not sure about 1098 heads
And yes 1275s have the extra hole.
1098 heads work well on 948s, 1275 heads do not work well on 948s (way
different)
Maybe your engine came from a Morris Minor or other BMC car which had the hole
in the head
I'm not sure about those other models though.

Anyway you can plug the hole with a suitable bolt or plumbing plug, I do it all
the time on the later 1275s. I use the early radiators in all Sprites for ease
of removal on my what seems to be weekly engine removals.

I do not know the size off hand, I happened to have a few brass plugs that
worked for this laying around the house and later just matched them up at the
hardware store.

Good luck
Frank