Re: Trailering the Spridgets

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trailering the Spridgets
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 13 Apr 1998 21:51:26 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jason Urban <jurban@pond.com> writes:
>One idea - what about renting a truck, building strong ramps or find a
>car into the back of a truck.  Just like moving furniture!!

        Shit, I did that with the Racing Sprite From Hell a decade ago.
Early Mk II with bugeye bonnet, rear flares and weird cut-off back end
coming up into a little lip spoiler (not to mention Monza GT wheels and
Stahflex Phoenix 3011 185/60 tires up front and 205/60's in the rear).

        Dr. Bobwrench and I had spent 3 or so weeks bringing it back from
the dead -- I'd been carting it around or storing it for 5-6 years since I
found it in a barn, half-disassembled.  4-5 years before I'd gotten it
running, but hadn't gotten the brake system working.  We upgraded to
later brakes all around, got it running, put in hood pins (it's
front-hinged), etc.  13" dished wheel, short shifter.

        To get it to the autocross, we had to drive it 5 or so miles down
the mountain (and it was vastly illegal - no windshield, for example).  We
drove a friend's (new) Ford F150 duallie up to a slope by the driveway,
took some 2x6's with a 2x4's nailed to the bottom for stiffening, and
rolled it into the back of the F150.  No bumper (luckily).  Rear wheels
were on by around 4-6" I think, with a tire keeping the front from hitting;
couldn't close the gate.  The front wheels just squeezed between the rear
wells of the F150.  Tied it in and went to the autox, and did the same to
move it to my house later.  Serious go-kart action...  Probably didn't
weigh more than 1100-1200, if that.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com