Synthetics in 1980 & Older Cars

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Synthetics in 1980 & Older Cars
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This may be of interest to those considering synthetics and synthetic
blends in older cars.  I asked Quaker State about their use in my 78
Midget, and concerns I had about viscosity and seal compatibility.
This is an excerpt from the reply from their lubrication engineer.
(Q-State was very courteous and helpful, I might add):

"We would basically agree with you that the High
Performance 20W-50 would be a good choice for your vehicle.  We do not
anticipate any seal compatibility problems using a synthetic blend.

We do hesitate to recommend our full synthetic in
vehicles older than 1980 which have the original seals.

The same would be true of your transmissions and
axles: we would recommend the synthetic blend over the full synthetic
if they still have the original
seals.

If you rebuild an engine, replacing the seals also,
you may use a full synthetic from the first drain.  There is no
break-in period necessary on conventional oil. "