Bug won't start

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bug won't start
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:53:30 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hola sport fans,

Well, after a good recovery from a non-charging electrical system, it
appears that brother Lucas is calling on the Bug again.  After a nice,
spritely run of about 50 miles last Sunday, I get about 1/4 mile from the
house and stop at a light.  Take off, come out of first going into second
and -- PRFFRTTTT comes out the tailpipe.  (No, it wasn't that burrito I had
for lunch either)  As the power dies and I coast to a stop at the side of
road, I'm wondering .. what the hell was that.  Well I try to start the Bug.
She turns over like mad, but doesn't start.  I raise the bonnet, looking
around for loose stuff, leaks, whatever and every thing looks good and feels
tight.  I towed her home and look again -- still nothing.  She is getting
fuel, has plenty of cranking power.  Checked for spark at plugs -- there is
none! (Spark at points though!) Points, condenser, rotor, dist. cap all new
(Lucas).  I can't figure it out.  Plug wires???  Hell, I don't know.  All I
know is that I am missing these lovely spring days.  All help/suggestions
will be gratefully entertained.

Jeff Church
Chesapeake, VA
'59 Bugeye