Re: New Master Cylinder

To: Bob Frato <bobfrato@bright.net>
Subject: Re: New Master Cylinder
From: Valentine <valntine@postoffice.ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 13:00:21 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Frato wrote:

> I talked to the supplier and am not sure if I agree with their answer
> (don't worry about it - use it as is).  Wanted to get a couple of
> opinions
>
> Jaral48462@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 98-05-29 11:28:37 EDT, bobfrato@bright.net writes:
> >
> > << I recently purchased a new master cylinder for my Bugeye.  When I went
> >  to install it in the pedal box I discovered that the resevior was semi
> >  filled with a viscous liquid.  Should I completely disassemble & clean
> >  the MC with alcohol or is this liquid compatable with the brake fluid
> >  and I can install it as is? >>
> >
> > I believe the that question would be best directed to the person or supplier
> > that you purchased it from.
> >
> > Ron
> > Ortonville, MI

Bob,

OPINION - Some fluids react with other fluids, (DOT 5 will supposedly
precipitate with some blends of DOT 3 & 4)  If you don't know what is in
it I would empty it - bench bleed with your choice of fluid and then
install.

You wouldn't want the rubber in your system to degrade after all that
work!

Be safe not sorry later.

Kevin Valentine