Re: Fulcrum Pin Progress

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fulcrum Pin Progress
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 14:23:59 -0400
Cc: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <phubbard@carroll.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip --
The thread size of the fulcrum pin is 3/8 - 24.  Yes, you can get a tool to
rethread it, it's called a die, and you will need another tool to put the
die in to hold it and turn it.  However, the access to do this is probably
insufficient to re-thread the pin on the car anyway.  The problem with the
pin is that the steel sleeves of the bushings have  rusted to the pin
shank, and the diameter of the sleeve is larger than the hole that you have
to push the pin out of.  This is a real pain, because the only way I know
of to get the pin out now is to pound it out.  Be aware that you may also
force the rusted-on sleeves through the pin hole, thus enlarging it (and
getting the pin out), if you are lucky, or bending hell out of the sheet
metal with the hole in it.  Don't worry about damaging the pin at this
point.   New ones are only about $7 plus shipping, so you might want to
order a whole set.  If not, I have some used ones I will give you free.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
> To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net; phubbard@carroll.com
> Subject: Fulcrum Pin Progress
> Date: Saturday, June 06, 1998 1:51 PM
>
> Aha!  Success at last.  The fulcrum pin nut is off!  I got it split with
> the nut splitter and then used hammer and screwdriver to open it up and
> slid it off.
>
> The fulcrum pin itself is being beastly to get out.  I can't seem to be
> able to get a pry device behind it to pry it out.  I do have the washer
out
> of the side with the split nut.  Problem is that earlier I messed up the
> threads just enough that I can't get the nut from the other side screwed
on
> so that I could pound on it with a hammer.
>
> Is it worth trying not to mess the fulcrum pin up anymore.  The threads
> look pretty good for the most part and I was hoping that if I don't mess
it
> up any further that I could take it to get rethreaded once I got it off
the
> car.  If that is just a vain hope, I could bang on it all day not
worrying
> if I caused further damage.  That ought to help get it off.  :)  Another
> thought.  Do they make small hand held rethreaders?  If so, I could
> rethread the beginning of the bolt while still on the car, thread an old
> (non-split) nut on enough to protect the bolt and then bang on it with
the
> hammer.  The bummer is that if I don't get it out without ruining it,
I'll