Re: Stainless

To: Peter Samaroo <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:52:46 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Samaroo wrote:

>  IMHO Stainless steel fasteners are OK for non-structural use but I
> believe that they are normally not even grade 5, because of the ease
> with which I have managed to snap them when tightening. Also unless you
> put an anti-seize compound on them they tend to gall(transfer material
> from one surface to the other). After they have been put on and taken
> off a few times they seem to loose their threads and if they have been
> overtightened the threads are normally deformed and twisted. I have quit
> using them normally and use regular grade 8 fasteners with anti-seize
> compound, except where they are in contact with wood e.g. TD and MGA
> floorboards etc.(I think that's where the term floorboards came from
> those older cars that actually used wood) they seem to be fine for those
> type applications (i.e. non structual).
> I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me but thats OK if we all did
> things the same way we would never figure out new ways of doing things.
> I am only talking about your garden variety stainless I do not think it
> undergoes the same heat treatment that grade 8 type fasteners undergo,
> If someone knows of a good source for stainless grade 8 hardware I would
> be glad to hear about it.

Peter and anyone else interested,

I desperatly tried talking my buddy out of stainless nuts and bolts when
he restored his 1934 MG-PA, Being a real stubburn German, he assured me
they were better then original.
Now he is replacing all kinds of stuff due to the front and rear ends
practically falling out! But knowing Dave, he'll blame it on something
else.
I would never use SS hardware on anything but ornimental parts like the
brake hole blanking plate, maybe to hold on those clips for the wiring
harness and that kind of stuff.

Peter is right about the threads disappearing after you remove and
replace them a few times too.

There is a big difference in US made and Asian made stainless (all)
hardware. I have used US made stainless nuts on my intake manifold and
my exhaust system, these were US government quality left over from a job
way back. They don't break or strip out. I do not know the specs on
them.

Just remember suspension parts are not supposed to look pretty, use
grade 8s when working in these areas.

Just my .02 cents

Frank