Re: Radio Suppression

To: Stephen Oram <SJORAM@compuserve.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Radio Suppression
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:40:33 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>My latest problem is due to the addition of a radio. ... Everything works
>OK but
>the interference is bad. ...
>Stephen Oram
>
>1966 Sprite MKIII

Is your car still positive earth? Is the radio a modern one (hence negative
earth)? If so, then your antenna and radio must be electrically isolated
from the car body. This means that the antenna has a 'floating' ground.
Reception will be poor and the effects of interference will be greater.
There are several remedies:

1. Buy an old positive ground radio
2. Change the car to negative ground
3. Build a circuit for the antenna that compensates for the floating set-up
(a HAM frined told me how once, I could look it up)

Each option has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html