Lake Superior Vintage Sports Car Rendezvous

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lake Superior Vintage Sports Car Rendezvous
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:48:22 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
It was a wonderful weekend in Duluth, Minnesota. Great weather, great cars,
great people. The Minnesota Austin-Healey  Club were the hosts. There were
about 50 cars: A few MGAs, eight or ten Bs, a half-dozen TR6s a bunch of  Big
Healeys, six bugeyes, a few other assorted spridgets, a Morgan (complete with
funny hat), a Spitfire, a stunning XK120 roadster, an SP250, an E-type and a
few non-British bits of metal that were nothing to laugh at either.

There was participation from as far away as Winnipeg and Iowa, the Thunder Bay
club came down en masse, and a good  time was had by all. This event proves to
me that different marque clubs can get together and really have a great event.
It was nice to share the lot with such a variety of cars, and there was
something there for everyone. We got a private lot at the Hotel (lake view.)
There was a gymkhana, (I came in fourth) a rally ( I won!) a pit stop challenge
(our team was fastest) a car show (I didn't get voted "car least likely to make
it home under it's own power.") They raffled off goodies and I didn't get any
Lucas brake fluid. (Is that scary or what?) I picked up a couple of trinkets
and had my carbs set by a pro for free; Is it any wonder I had a good time?

Duluth has lots of twisty, hilly roads for between-event amusement; some really
ragged stuff that the rallymaster made us run on, and it's a pretty little
city. Next year it's in Winnipeg and the 2000 event is already scheduled. If
you're in the upper Midwest, look forward to it.

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget

Rally Survival Tip: Be careful who you pass at high speed on gravel roads, some
guys are particular about their finish.