Re: Short shift kit

To: Jim Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Subject: Re: Short shift kit
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:38:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Jim Rowan wrote:

> Has anybody bought/installed/used the Mini Mania short shift kit?
> Installation sounds almost too easy; all work is done from the drivers
> seat, only have to remove 3 bolts...etc. Very tempting but is it
> true?

I haven't used it, but as to your question "is it true", yes it is.
I have used this kind of kit on other cars.  It will shorten the throw as
advertised, but it also increases effort (not a big factor with the
ribcase) and reduces control a little.

It might be a matter of personal preference as well.  When I installed my
5-speed, I experimented with different length shift levers and it made a
big difference to the feel of the transmission.

Go for it! :-)

                                                           '67 Sprite