Re: Impact Wrench - Rotors

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Impact Wrench - Rotors
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:47:06 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 08:38 PM 6/16/98 PDT, you wrote:
>Do you have a impact wrench or a impact driver?  If its a impact driver
you need to wind it up ie to remove a bolt place it on the bolt and turn by
hand as far as you can to the left then bang on it with a big hammer.
>       I have used a beam type torque wrench for 20 years.  The only
disadvantage is when doing production work, the click type is faster, but
not better.  Check the + or- accuracy of the wrench most good beam types
are more accurate the the click types.  You could always go with a Snap-On
dial gauge torque wrench for around $300.
>               Crash

Aha!  You pegged it.  I have a impact driver and not an impact wrench.  I
was too tired to work on the car tonight as I didn't get home from work
until about 9pm, but when I get back to it I'll do as you suggest.

Hmmmm...$300.  I may have to pass on that one.  :)  It's been interesting
getting opinions on beam type vs. click type.  I'm wondering what one can
expect for certain price ranges.  I saw what they were calling "economy
micrometer torque wrench" in a local auto parts store's catalog for $30.
Another local parts store and Home Depot were selling a beam type for
$17-$20.  Given those price ranges is one likely to be much better than the
other?  I will look next time I am at the store to see if there is a +/-
accuracy rating for the wrenches.  The Home Depot micrometer types were
more in the $45-$60 range.

Thanks to all for the advice on these tools.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget