Re: SU Carb -- Float Leaking

To: chasdoug@gte.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SU Carb -- Float Leaking
From: carlson@navtech.com (Curtis Carlson)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:10:09 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mine did this on my Sprite MKIII last year.  Decided to do it in the middle of
our funkhana and spurted gasoline directly onto the exhaust pipe!  Yikes!  No
fire, but I was scared S**tless!

Anyway, check to make sure the float bowl isn't hanging up.  If the float
sticks down, it doesn't shut off the fuel flow with the needle valve, and the
fuel flows out through the overflow hole just under the fuel inlet when the
pump continues to push fuel.  The float should move freely, and there should be
no burrs on the float axle.  If you have an original float, I would consider
replacing the floats and axles.  Also, you can remove the aluminum deflector
over the overflow hole, and insert a small brass rod, to which you can attach
an overflow hose draining safely away from the exhaust pipe and onto the
ground.  It's good insurance.

Curt

--
Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty")