Moss Backorders

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Moss Backorders
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 18:29:02 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
70 messages today, mostly on Moss quality.

I have a different beef - misleading service, as in broken backorder
promises.  Like they said "3 to 4 weeks" and it turns into something much
longer.

My research says this would be avoidable with just a little better computer
input.  Here's how Moss works. You order Part A, and so did several other
people, and the Moss computer keeps a nice list in priority order - no
problem so far.

Part A is already on order from their suppliers, and it's enroute to Moss
with an ETA of "3 to 4 weeks".  Moss's central computer knows what is
arriving in that shipment, but the Parts Counter does not.  The Parts man
makes the assumption that Part A will be arriving in that shipment in
sufficient quantity to satisfy his backorders.  That's why he advised you
that Part A would be shipped in "3 to 4 weeks".

Poor assumption!  In my case 2 only of Part A arrived to fulfill 6 orders.
4 of us are whistling for our exhausr pipes.  They haven't arrived at Moss,
but the Parts man will tell you now that they're in the next shipment due
on Date X.  But he's just guessing.

THE REMEDY IS NOT TO BITCH (THEY DON'T CARE OR REPLY).  THE REMEDY IS TO
ORDER "ALL OR NONE AND NO BACKORDERS".  THAT WOULD AFFECT THE POCKETBOOK.

Daryl