Re: road noise

To: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: road noise
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:05:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Could be a front wheel bearing. I had one go in a VW and it was very
similar to what you describe. One way to test, but not foolproof, is to
drive for a while and then check knock-off spinner or wheel for excessive
heat with your hand. When my bearings went, they heated up. Of course, the
real test is to jack up the front, place your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock
positions on the tire, and see if you can rock it. If so, you have
something loose. If the rocking persists even with someone stepping on the
brakes, then it's more than likely the bearings. If the braking disallows
rocking, then you need to check for wear in the lower link, lower swivel
axle bush, or the shock link. This is from memory of reading the tech tips
at an Australian spridgets site. Sorry, I don't have the URL on me.

Good luck,

Jeff

>I've been running country-road shake-down drives on my Bugeye to get the
>remaining 9-year-storage-related bugs out (had a float stick last night--
>went through 1/4 tank of gas while looking for a place to pull off!).
>
>Anyway, I notice that there is a lot more "road noise" (a deep rumbling)
>when making sweeping left turns on a winding highway road. The noise is
>still there at a very reduced volume when going straight, and pretty much
>goes away when making sweeping right turns. It doesn't really sound like a
>bearing to me, but then I don't think I've ever heard a wheel bearing going
>bad before, so I couldn't say for sure.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>Tom Zuchowski