Re: AW: Drivetrain Rattle

To: Oram Stephen <Stephen.Oram@nbgm.siemens.de>
Subject: Re: AW: Drivetrain Rattle
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 08:45:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Steve,
RainX does in fact work great, but you have to reapply it routinely, it
starts to smear otherwise.  It is available in Germany at generic auto
parts stores.

I had a rattling transmission too, but it would only rattle at Highway
speeds.  Going faster than about 55mph would start a very annoying rattle.
Eventually, a tooth on the layshaft (?) broke off, so I was w/o 1st and
reverse.   I think the bearings were so loose that the shafts could move
away from each other, causing the gear teeth to mesh at their tips
resulting in increased stress and eventual breakage.
Thus in my case I could have saved the transmission by changing the
bearings in time, which I was told is not too hard.

Your case might be different though since you get the rattle at low
speeds.

I agree on MK Parts.  I have called them a couple of times with tech
questions (TUV related) and they were really helpful.  Of course they had
no idea I was calling from the US...

Viel Spass,

                                                           '67 Sprite