Overhauling Brake Calipers

To: <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Overhauling Brake Calipers
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 20:49:06 -0400
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Any advice on what to watch out for when doing the caliper rebuild or
>bleeding is appreciated.  I already have list advice on the bleeding, but
>if there is anything else I am always appreciative of the hints.

Hi, Philip!
Yes, I have a tip for you when overhauling your Midget brake calipers.  You
will need to remove the pistons to replace the seals and dust boots and to
make sure the pistons and bores are in good shape, with no corrosion
causing them to stick.  I've found it makes a difference which piston you
remove first.  You can use compressed air to remove them, but you want to
remove the one AWAY from the brake line input to the caliper FIRST.   Let's
call the piston AWAY from the brake line input #2.  Use a big C-clamp to
prevent piston #1 from moving while you stick your compressed air hose into
the brake line input.  This will force #2 piston out first.  Then you can
use the air to blow out #1 piston.     Put something soft, like a cloth or
towel, between the two pistons before blowing them out.  They come out with
a lot of force, and you don't want to damage them, or yourself.

If you do this the other way around, you will have an open bore where #1
piston was, with no way now to pressurize #2.  You can use the C-clamp to
reinstall the pistons in their bores, but be careful not to get the piston
cocked and jammed in the bore.  Press the pistons back in as far as they
will go, to make room for the new pads and shims.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"Truth is precous.  Use it sparingly"  -- Mark Twain