Tach & Coil help

To: "Mg List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "mg list sprite" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Tach & Coil help
From: "Palmer Family" <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:57:09 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I just got through installing all the parts in my dash, and I hooked up all
the gauges/switches.  All of them work, and I new how to hook them up,
except my tach.

Here's the story, the DPO had it working(I don't know how) but he
jury-rigged a 12v power to the coil to get it to run. He then had another
one of his wires running back to the tach.   What I need to know is, how is
the tach and coil supposed to be hooked up?  Another problem that arises is
that I think I have a later tach.  It has a bullet connector and a spade
right next to each other, and on across from them is a spade ground.

Coming out right near the tach I have two white wires, one with the female
bullet, the other with the male bullet. (note that the female is not just a
bullet with a rubber connector, but actually a rigid female.) I also have
two green wires going into one female spade connector, and the grounds.

At the coil on one side is a white w/black wire running to the distributor
and the alternator, and on the other side is a white one that the DPO
didn't have connected.   Also on this side is a red, switched wire that he
used for power to the coil.  The white wire with the male bullet connector
at the tach is the one that is at the coil.  (I checked for continuity)

Now for my question, how should they be hooked up, and, if my tach is a
later one, how should I hook it up differently?

signed,
BARRY PALMER
amesfolks@snovalley.com
72 MG Midget (Sparky)