Re: Brake Grabbing

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake Grabbing
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 19:50:03 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phillip,

None of the following is specific to Sprites - just disc brakes in general.

I would drive the car for a day to break the new stuff in before worrying
about it much.  If the rotors are warped, you will be able to feel
pulsation in the brake peday when you stop.  New rotors should be OK as is
- you did wash the rust protectant from the surfaces with something before
installing them?

I assume that the calipers are OK internally after being rebuilt.
Sometimes brake drag can be caused by failure of the calipers to freely
slide in and out (side to side) on the caliper mounting - this has to occur
for them to operate properly.  A little smear of grease at these points is
usually advised.  This can be checked by collapsing the piston and pulling
them from side to side.

Les