crankcase breather

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: crankcase breather
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:46:38 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave wrote:

> Hello all !
>  It's been a while since I've been able to check in on the list.
> Meanwhile I have brought the $600 '67 midget back to life (after 5+ years
> in some guy's driveway)
> Still, there are a few kinks to work out ...
>  My crankcase breather is sending oil into the intake manifold thus
> creating an enormous amount of smoke.
> When disconnected all is well (except for the leaking)
> I disassembled and cleaned the valve an everything appeared to be okay.
> Is it possible that the oil separator cannister thingy attached to the
> rocker cover is bad ?
> There is nothing in the repair book pertaining to that part.
> Should I purchase a new valve ($100 +) and try again or is my problem
that
> strange little cannister.
>
> since we're on the subject of smoke ...
> Like I said, with the oil breather disconnected the engine runs great and
> smoke free.
> However, when warm, if I sit at a stop light for more than 30 seconds
I'll
> get a big puff of smoke
> when the light changes and I pull away.  ????
> When warm the oil pressure is 35-40 at idle and right around 60 when
> driving. Water temp stays at 180
>
> Thanks for any and all help !
>
> Dave Fox
> '67 Midget (w/403 miles of spridget driving under my belt)

Dave

You can try a generic PCV inplace of the original, I have one from a
Chrysler on one Sprite but do not know which model Chrysler. It works.
The only thing in the t/dhain cover oil separator is some wire wool, not
steel wool but something like a heavy stainless wire wool pot scrubber.
In fact, that's what I use to replace the old wire, a brand new pot
scrubby from K-mart. It is easier then trying to clean the original and
only costs $1.59 for 2.
Your PCV may have a hole in the diaphram or a bad spring, If the spring
is there and you are sure it has NOT been stretched, there may be a tear
in the rubber diaphram. Motorhead stocks the rubbers, 1-800-527-3140.

Good Luck
Frank
--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs