Re: Crankcase breather system

To: Foxy Dave <dfox@blarg.net>
Subject: Re: Crankcase breather system
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,

I think the proper functioning of the PCV valve could be tested with a
vacuum gauge.  If the manuals don't give a spec for the vacuum, one could
compare it to the reading on the system on a similar car which has a
fairly new NOS valve on it (if one happens to know the owner of such a
vehicle <grin>)

Ulix (NOTANMG w/ NOSPCV)

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Dave wrote:

> Hello all !
>  It's been a while since I've been able to check in on the list.
> Meanwhile I have brought the $600 '67 midget back to life (after 5+ years
> in some guy's driveway)
> Still, there are a few kinks to work out ...
>  My crankcase breather is sending oil into the intake manifold thus
> creating an enormous amount of smoke.
> When disconnected all is well (except for the leaking)
> I disassembled and cleaned the valve an everything appeared to be okay.
> Is it possible that the oil separator cannister thingy attached to the
> rocker cover is bad ?
> There is nothing in the repair book pertaining to that part.
> Should I purchase a new valve ($100 +) and try again or is my problem that
> strange little cannister.
>
> since we're on the subject of smoke ...
> Like I said, with the oil breather disconnected the engine runs great and
> smoke free.
> However, when warm, if I sit at a stop light for more than 30 seconds I'll
> get a big puff of smoke
> when the light changes and I pull away.  ????
> When warm the oil pressure is 35-40 at idle and right around 60 when
> driving. Water temp stays at 180
>
> Thanks for any and all help !
>
> Dave Fox
> '67 Midget (w/403 miles of spridget driving under my belt)

                                                           '67 Sprite