Re: NEW, SU stuff (used to be SU damping)

To: Palmer Family <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: NEW, SU stuff (used to be SU damping)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 19:27:36 -0400
Cc: mg list sprite <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, Mg List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Palmer Family wrote:

> Peter is correct in saying that the the front one is ALWAYS lower, even if
> I sustain high rpm's, it still is lower.  I think I will check the damper
> springs and for vacuum leaks because the idle adustment screws (on the top
> that restrict how low the throttle can go) do not help.

  The one you probably want to check is the one on the throttle
shaft.

  Basically the throttle cable pulls the "middle" part, and the outer
two pieces that attach to the carbs are stuck in and tightened in
place with a nut.

  Start the car.

  Loosen those nuts so the parts can turn independently. The throttle
will now not do anything.

  Use those "idle adjustment" screws you were using before to set
the engine to a nice idle, and balance the carbs this way.

  When everything is balanced and idling nice, shut engine off
and carefully tighten the nuts on the throttle shaft to "reattach"
the throttles to the linkage and therefore the pedal.

  Try that.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/