1500 Midget Exhaust Gaskets

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1500 Midget Exhaust Gaskets
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 08:43:31 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I finally got somewhat ambitious yesterday and replaced Miss Molly's
exhaust 'head pipe' (the down pipe from the exhaust manifold to the
exhaust pipe / muffler assembly) with one that was sans catalytic
converter.  I neglected to order gaskets and had to come up with ones
that would properly fit as replacements.  Thus, I spent some time with my
friendly parts guy at Parts America (been there so often these guys
finally offered me a job) and came up with several numbers for future
reference, and am posting them in a separate e-mail.

Other than that, Molly's exhaust is in pretty good shape.  I need to
replace a hanger and spot weld another that is cracked but I can't really
complain about anything other than the placement and design of the
system:  It seems pretty silly to have it cross from one side to the
other only to take a couple of turns to exit.

I don't want to replace the exhaust yet, nor put in an aftermarket
performance exhaust, but when this exhaust wears out, can anyone think of
any reason why I couldn't have my local muffler shop bend me some pipe
that would run parallel to the side the side of the car, contain a single
slim muffler, and exit before the wheelwell?  I realize that I would
probably need to fabricate some sort of heat shield between the muffler
and floor pan, and I think that I could mount the hangers from the seat
mounting bolts.  How have others handled this?

Rich
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"
'89 Blonde-Haired, Blue-Eyed Daughter "The Boss"