RE: Leaking fuel pump

To: "'shk'" <shk@qnet.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Leaking fuel pump
From: Jeff Zurschmeide <jzurschm@etec.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:26:59 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Actually, at RPM the oil in there can get to be
under pressure - our motors
generate an awful lot of positive
crankcase pressure.  The fuel pump
hole is also a prime place for leaks,
since any kind of hard cornering will
cause the sump oil to run right up the
side of the pan and block to that hole.

I've had about every leak problem
known to LBCs on my Bugeye -
here's what I did to "fix" them:

1) use Permatex 98H on every mating surface -
    the 3H brown aviation sealer hardens
    while the red (I call it "virgin's blood") 98H stays pliable.
    Use it generously and let it get tacky before
    assembling parts.

2) allow your motor every opportunity to breathe out that
    crankcase pressure. Use a vented oil filler cap. Pull
    the brillo pad out of the timing case breather. If you've
    got tappet covers, make sure one of them also
    contains a breather (without a brillo pad insert).
    If your valve cover has a prong, cut the end off for better
    flow and run it to a vented catch tank.

3) When this still doesn't eliminate all leaks, take a
    piece of thin-gauge sheet aluminum and find or make a
    crude sheetmetal brake and make a belly pan to go
    under the motor and trans. Attach with screws so you
    can remove it as needed. Then head for the local boater's
    supply place and get squares of polypropylene batting
    and tape them to the belly pan. These pads are
    made for the same task on a boat. Yup - a maxi-pad for
    your Sprite.  Works a treat, and my fellow vintage drivers
    are most appreciative.

JZ