Charging Problems - '74 Midget

Subject: Charging Problems - '74 Midget
From: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 21:14:40 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

Reminds me of a problem I had with my Pontiac about a year ago.  I got
dropped on the road a few times and needed boosts to get started.  My
assumption was that I could keep going once it was boosted and that the
alternator would keep me going.  But someone explained to me as I was
riding in their tow truck, that the electric fuel pump wasn't getting
enough juice to supply the engine and that was why I was stalling.  Perhaps
the battery was shorted out internally?  At any rate, as I was about half
way between here and there, I ended up buying a very expensive battery and
my problem was solved.

Maybe that's a clue?

Good luck,
Robert

Message text written by Philip Hubbard

Remember I was having difficult starting problems?  I think I know why
now...weaker and weaker battery.  Could just start it while engine cool,
but not hot and eventually gave out alltogether.  Here comes the fun.
Driving about a mile from my home and the car suddenly loses power and
within 15 yards, dies.   Was able to get into a parking lot, pop the clutch
and get it running (badly) again - the mad dash for home begins.  I got
about 1/2 way home and it died again.  Could not get it restarted.

Went home and waited for reinforcements.  Wife comes and we get it started
)about 2 hours later so the pop the clutch system worked once.  She follows
me home and I die in about 100 yards.  I work on a sticking carb piston,
jump the car and charge it up a bit and I limp home - almost.  Dies about
100 yards from the homestead.  Jump and charge once more and I'm in the
garage.
<