Re: rotaries

To: <J6879758@emu.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rotaries
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:42:48 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My old racecar was once a rotary-powered spridget (the preceding owner
changed it back to A-series). From the butchery that was done to that car, I
can't say I like the idea, but that could be just a function of a DPO.

Dean King (South Australia) competes regularly in a rotary powered sprite.
It
goes like the clappers but the weight distribution isn't quite right and he
still
gets out-handled by conventional sprites on a tight track like the short
track at
Winton. On fast tracks however....

A very popular conversion now is the Toyota 4AGE motor. You can fit a 20
valve
version of this motor that puts out about 100kW (at the flywheel). The
balance of
the car is quite close to a standard spridget and so it handles very well.
You do
have to make additional room up high (a big bump in the bonnet/hood). KG
Engineering have made a SC/CR gearset for one of the RWD toyota 5 speed
gearboxes. This is a setup that Jeff Smith uses for racing. The car has the
straight-
line performance of a BIG $$$$ top race sprite but is a mild and reliable
standard
motor. The only problems he had related to the gearbox before he had the
SC/CR
gearset made.

Mike