Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 06:47:23 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>I think your float bowl problem is that the needle valve
>(in the float bowl cover) is sticking.  Disconnect the hose
>from the fuel inlet, remove the cover, and put an extra piece of
>hose on the inlet so you can blow into it.  Hold the cover
>right-side up (like it was still on the float bowl) and move
>the float up and down while blowing into the inlet.  As you
>raise the float, the needle valve should close and stop the
>air flow.  If it doesn't, poke at it, prod it, spray it with carb
>cleaner, tap lightly on the side with a screwdriver handle,
>etc., to try to dislodge any bits of dirt in the needle
>valve.  If this still doesn't work, take the needle valve
>out, inspect the tip and the seat, and replace it if
>necessary.

Ok, this sounded good enough that at 1am last night I had to go down and
try it.  Front carb - everything seemed to work as it should.  Rear carb
(nearest driver) sealed up nicely, but does have a tendancy to stick
=closed= (i.e., no air flow).  Would this cause my float bowl overflow?
Seems the other way round - it would overflow if it stuck open.

Thanks,
Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos