Mine PASSED too!!

To: "mg list sprite" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "Mg List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Mine PASSED too!!
From: "Palmer Family" <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:25:09 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This is very delayed since I've been driving around and not reading e-mail
for the last week or two!

Two Mondays ago My dad and I picked up a trip permit for my 72 midget.  We
got numerous tune-up parts the night before, changed oil, new plugs, wires,
filter, etc.  So Monday afternoon we took the car to the Bellevue emissions
station after cleaning out the year old tank of gas and putting more in.
(It only took us 60 miles to burn it all off!!)

We pulled into the emissions station and the car was running beautifully,
it was willing to rev, lot's of power(as much as an MG should have!) and we
pulled up to the stop line and we got this;

Idle  HC  128  CO  3.75%  CO+CO2 16.02   Idle speed 1052
cruise HC  787  CO  !!!!10.82%!!!!  CO+CO2  17.17

SO it failed the first time, we pulled out in the parking lot and I
re-tuned it and checked the timing, Went back in and the idle was to fast!!

Third times the charm,  When we pulled it into the station, we had to rev
it to 3500 and ride the clutch to get it into the station!!!  We put it on
and it ran like CRAP!!

At the 25 mph cruise test it was bucking and misfiring on the rollers, it
was ready to sputter and DIE!

Well this one didn't take as long as the first, so we hoped it would be
better, The test guy handed me the paper and said,  "Well, I guess you know
how to use a screwdriver!!"

Here's the results,

cruise HC  368  CO  4.68% CO+CO2  14.28 Idle speed 881
Idle  HC  197  CO  .2%  CO+CO2 10.66

That's not a misprint, even though it was bucking and misfiring at 25mph,
it was .2% CO !!!!
IT WAS BARELY RUNNING!!

Anyway, We went to the dmv and picked up my license and registration, new
Washington plates, and a few bolts we needed yet.

I'm so happy!!!

Thanks for listening!
signed,
BARRY PALMER