Re: Exhaust Pipe Over or Under Rear Axle?

To: Daryl May <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Pipe Over or Under Rear Axle?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 18:32:24 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daryl May wrote:

> Would appreciate advice in addition to what I got on the BBS.
>
> I took my Bugeye to the local muffler shop to have an exhaust pipe fitted.
> I recalled seeing straight pipes (once the down-from-the-manifold part has
> bent to the rear) in the Moss catalog, so I asked the muffler man whether
> he was going to route it UNDER or OVER the rear axle.
>
> He bent his tubing to create an exhaust pipe that went OVER the rear axle,
> and I have to say that it LOOKS like there is enough space, even allowing
> for hitting a bump in the road.
>
> But here's my problem.  I cannot drive the car for a while until my
> electrical system is installed (created I should say).  Two people on the
> BBS say that the pipe should go UNDER the axle.
>
> Do I tow the car back to the muffler shop and have him redo it to go under
> the axle, or see if it works where it is?
>
> Daryl

Daryl

It should go under the axle but if it looks good and works out, let me
know. It may be too restrictive making a "U" bend.
I went over the axle on the A40 (sprite engine and exhaust) but it had a
terrible droning that I never heard with a Sprite. I had to install a
different very quite muffler to cut down on the droning. I'm not sure if
this has anything to do with going over the axle or the design of the
back end of the car. The tail pipe is out past the bumper.
Keep me informed, I'm always interested improvments.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ