Re: Windshield rod and nut

To: "Palmer Family" <amesfolks@snovalley.com>, "mg list sprite" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Windshield rod and nut
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:39:41 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck Ciaffone wrote:

>On my '72, the top of the windshield rod is set in a
>large blob of black plastic that screws to the top
>of the windshield frame. The bottom end of the rod is
>threaded and screws into a socket that is bolted
>to the dash.

Hi, Barry!
The top threaded rod screws into a metal fitting that is riveted to the top
of the windshield.  The fitting is normally covered by the rearview mirror.
 If you have this type of fitting, then you will also need the nut for the
bottom end of the rod, Vicky B part number 14-504 (item 21 on page 58 of
catalog SM.27).

The type of rod described by Chuck Ciaffone in his response to your
question would appear to be different from the top threaded rod.  My '73
and two spare windshields (one from a '72) use the top threaded type.  You
need to determine whether you have the metal fitting or the "blob of black
plastic" at the top of the windshield.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"

"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain